We are finding and supporting the voices in occupational therapy to enhance our role in world health and wellbeing.
As the international organisation for the occupational therapy profession, WFOT is responsible for a range of functions related to leadership and advocacy. Disability and human rights are at the core of our work, publications and standards as we advocate for the human right to inclusion and participation in meaningful occupation.
This programme area pioneers the development and evolution of the profession at international, regional and national levels through strategy and vision; standards and governance; collaboration and representation; and support and information.
We are building capacity for the future of the profession by supporting the development of the profession in countries where it does not exist, facilitating the WFOT approved status of education programmes and providing workforce strategies and data and resources to support the growth of the profession.
Strategic and operational plans determine the organisation’s development and business in addition to a range of projects.
Leadership and Advocacy Strategy Tools
Occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants and occupational therapy students have an important role in advocating for the needs of individuals, communities and populations. WFOT offers resources that can develop leadership and advocacy skills within the profession.
WFOT Advocacy Toolkit
The Toolkit includes:
- Description of the advocacy process and considerations for an advocacy strategy
- Advocacy letter samples and templates.
Innovative Change Agency Narratives
Narratives submitted by WFOT members that provide examples regarding occupational therapy initiatives for influencing change, with an emphasis on analysing lessons learned.
- Advocacy for the dignity of older adults - Describes how occupational therapists in Québec, Canada denounced low quality of care for older adults living in residential care.
- Occupational Therapy as a Statutory Service in the Norwegian Municipal Health Service Act - Describes the successful advocacy efforts of the Norwegian Association of Occupational Therapists Association to include occupational therapy services in the Norwegian Municipal Health Service Act.
- Successfully advocating for an occupational therapy law in Argentina - Outlines the work of the national occupational therapy association to update the legal framework for occupational therapy practice in Argentina. Also available in Spanish.
- Establishing occupational therapy in Rwanda: Some ingredients in our success - Describes the process of establishing the profession in Rwanda, including creating a national association, launching an entry-level education programme and gaining full membership in WFOT.
WFOT Position Statements
Position Statements are published by WFOT on a broad range of topics to inform and offer support for messages included in a change strategy.
WFOT Public Statements
Public Statements provide the WFOT perspective for significant topical issues of relevance to the occupational therapy profession.
Writing Press Releases
This resource contains advice on how to write effective messages for the media.
About Occupational Therapy
WFOT description of occupational therapy and guiding principles for the profession.